Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Travel Liliw: Try the "Minani" other than shoes

The last time I was at Liliw was back in 2011. Then this month, we went back and it is still the same as the last time. Only it's Aprille now who's driving for us.

It is exactly how I remember because it's only just a little over two years. 
This time we were with Kuya Stew's wife, Jaydee, and her mom and aunt who wanted to witness and experience Liliw for themselves. They were in town for a quick visit before Jaydee, kuya's wife leaves for UK for good early next month.

We did a just bit of shopping for ourselves. Who wouldn't? These slippers sells for Php 250.00 and sometimes less compared to divisoria.
But what I fancied the most during our visit was the huge slipper design everywhere. Like this one:
Found another huge slipper on the street:
They put a lot of effort in store decorations now compared before, like these two stores: 
Badong Footwear is popular and have also reached the city in terms of brand recognition. It is also well established in Liliw. They also have those huge wedge slippers up on the roof.
The problem that I have with Liliw is... there's so many shoes to choose from but it's either not my style or it doesn't come in my size.


I love these cute version of kiddie shoes. I remember during our elementary days, our family friend and Aprille's god mother, Tita Lelie, her family owns a shoe factory in San Pedro, Laguna that manufactures shoes for the then brand "Sari-sari store", "Figlia" among others. And because we were kids, we get to have shoes in unusual colors. I remember showing up at school in my green shoes from Tita Lelie. :)

As I've written earlier, the problem that I have with Liliw is some of the slippers or shoe style is not my cup of tea. This is one them: 
But they reminded me of my friend Karen, who's a Chuck Taylor fan!
It's cold in Liliw because it also happened to be nearing Halloween and Christmas Season.

They also have native delicacies like the regular otap, polvoron, and other munchies.

They also have sellers of other stuff like fresh honey on the street (which unfortunately I was not able to take photo of) and sausages (which unfortunately I was not able to take photo of, again!) but here's pancit habhab on the street: 
To eat pancit habhab, is to eat it directly from the plastic like you're eating from the palm of your hand. 
But what caught me is when we were waiting for Jaydee and her family to finish shoe shopping, mom was munching on something very new to me:

We don't know what it is called so mom and I went back to the store where she bought it: It's along this street with the landmark of Cebuana Lhuillier:


There is only one lady who sells this new delicacy, if I may call it.

Mom channelling "Dulce-The-Food-Explorer".

We found out that this is called "Minani"/ It's fried sweet potato that you munch like it's french fries.

Mom took home three packs of "Minani", which I tell you, still tastes good after reheating in the morning.

Because when you're in Liliw, you have to buy (at least try) a shoe, Aprille and I were two happy girls ladies with our new sandals. 


I got mine for Php 250.00 but Aprille is a better haggler finding her yellow sandals for Php 230.00.

I want to go back to Liliw, I have yet to try Arabela Restaurant that is popular in Liliw. I finally found where it is located but we weren't able to go due to another appointment.  :)

No comments: