Sunday, March 6, 2011

What "Shot" Really Meant to those in Grad School

"Shot Tayo!"

I must admit it took me like a few weeks to understand what "Shot" is. Shot, is a term used by Grad Students ( well at least the ones that I am often with ) to invite friends and classmates in Graduate School to go out for a drink. This is while others go out for coffee.

I remember last semester when one of our professors told us that "Shot Sessions" are what made her survive graduate school. They would often have a sort of Thursday group when they have a meeting place at a certain time and that restaurant/bar/coffee shop would already have two buckets of beer waiting for them to start the session. Usually once the alcohol or beers got them talking, all the bright ideas and really good conversations come in, sans inhibitions. Oh well, we all know what alcohol does to us, right?

Anyway, for the past few days I've been in and out of these "Shot sessions" that as I write this entry, I am still trying to recover from the things that I pondered on these past few days.

"Work with the Given"
"This is a world of labels"
"The difference between Chemistry and Compatibility..."
"Pillow Talk"
"Post-Modernism"
"Succeeded at some degree..."
and so on.

I guess these "Shot sessions" are best used by those taking up their Masters and PhD in Social and Communication Sciences. I was able to get an idea for my thesis through what seemed to be harmless conversations and was able to get more inputs from people that I meet and randomly drink with. I think it's a bad idea to be a loner in grad school, because it is very important that you have someone (not just anyone, but someone on the same level / wavelength) to brainstorm with.

"This is not just beer in my glass, these are thoughts waiting to be 'sipped', in order to be expressed" 
Perfectly peeled beer labels up on the window...as an expression
Man Mig Light - if you want to drink Men. Lol.
Random behavior (Altering beer labels) during Shot Sessions
For Consistency purposes (see above picture)
And my biggest weakness: Free WiFi
That's what I look like when there's free wifi

Major challenge for me is to resist free WiFi. (Majority of the establishments that I go to has free WiFi for their customers.) 

I'm excited to share "Shot Sessions" topics [that is worth sharing] soon. I am still trying to recover from my lack of sleep for the past couple of days due to preparation for facilitation and reports.

Happy Sunday friends! Have a good one! :)





No comments: