Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Cafe Ella at Los Baños Centtro

For quite some time now, we've been looking forward to the opening of Cafe Ella at Los Banos Centtro, the nearest, mall-like (for its size) building, walking distance from UPLB.

Finally last Monday, it finally opened.


Oops, it was on a soft opening mode. We learned in social marketing campaign class to never launch a soft opening or do a soft launch because it gives opportunity for excuses.

BUT... let's give it a chance shall we?

Here's Cafe Ella, on the ground floor besides Save More Supermarket.


Nice ambiance. Very city-like. Nice location.

The interiors. We were initially seated  at the couch.



Lovin' decors and high ceilings.


Featuring my friend Paully who got the good seats for us: 


I brought a foodie with me. That's Faye, who orders for us and for me to blog about. 


Look around, look around pag may time.


Curious what the prices are? I took a photo like a ninja!


Funny Story.
Faye: Do you bake your own bread (that you use in sandwiches)
Staff: We make the sandwiches Ma'am.
Faye: Yes, ate. But do you bake the bread that you use in the sandwiches?
Staff: Yes, we are the ones making the sandwiches.
Me: (silent face palm)

Another one again.
Me: What is your best seller ate?
Staff: The cookies and cream flavor.
Me: When did Cafe Ella open?
Staff: Just yesterday.
Me: Is there any other branch of Cafe Ella?
Staff: Just this one.
Me: Alrighty. (They already have a best seller on their second day!) 


We settled at the smoking area because our resident foodie smokes.
Le smoking area
Notice the man on the lower right corner?


For those many people complaining that they never see the former elbi Mayor Anthony Genuino in Municipal Hall, and for those who never saw him in person because he is always absent and always being represented by another official during official events , this photo is for you.

There he is on the lower right. Rumors say that he owns Cafe Ella, and Ella is the name of his daughter. It must be true because we actually saw members of his family, The Genuinos, inside the coffee shop.

Don't let the brownie look alike fool ya. That's to put off cigarettes. I've been a smoker for years before I quit 17 months ago, it is my first time to see that they did not bother to spread the thing out.


We think it's a must to order water. We did.


The cream puff. Faye loves and makes cream puffs. Again, I'm no expert so I'm just going to write her feedback, since she is highly, highly credible. (She makes really really good pastries, so good that I want her to adopt me on weekends! haha!) 


Faye:  (on the plate and presentation) Never make it white on white. They could've used black plates for better presentation.

Me: It looks messy because of the confectioners sugar. Yun lang.

Faye: It should be soft, here let me take the first bite. (Puts fork in it) Okay, over cooked.


So it almost took 3 forks to tear it open.

What it looked like: 

We ordered the safest: (Left to right) House blend iced tea, mocha and cookies and cream.


Nothing special going on there, as you can see. And it's over priced. I could get a pretty good one from IC's bar just right across the street. 


This, is actually pretty good. The Mocha Sansrival thing that they got going on. I say it's alright and pretty good. I may be biased because I love chocolate. I breathe for it haha.


Faye thinks it's alright too, they just need not to put the chocolate swirl thing because it is already sweet on its own.

Commercial: I tried to order some ala carte chips/fries. They don't have it ala carte. So I lust after the Jollibee right across the cafe (Rumors say again that Genuinos own the Jollibee too!) 


Faye, the adventurous foodie, ordered the pistachio cake.


Finally she finds something she actually like! Yey! 

That's because she specified na to the nice lady manager not to put syrup and other stuff they offer to make it fancy. Someone even mentioned, we have vanilla powder (Chos. Confectioners sugar)

Additional info:

  • They're going to have wifi soon! 
  • Pricey if you ask me. ( I can get a pretty good one at Starbucks)
  • They offer meals, which I am reluctant to try, because it is expensive and I might be disappointed even if I don't have a fancy taste palette. Maybe I'll try if they have it for Php100 instead of Php195.
  • Some items are actually pretty good. Pastries are outsourced. 
  • Not really good coffee, but at least its a tad better than the Blah-est of all Blah Coffee in elbi, Boston. 
Will I go again? Maybe. But not anytime soon. 

UPDATE!

A month later, I came back to the store because I had to meet up with my friend who happens to be waiting at Cafe Ella.

This is their "something new":


 And yes! It does vibrate and lights up!


I wonder what else is new.

4 comments:

Kea said...

kakaawa ka teh!....magtirik ka na lang ng kandila sa inyo...

Kea said...

Not impressed about the Cafe Ella either, but at least it's something new in elbi. Ok naman other cakes nila. Thanks for this post, enjoyed it.

Kea said...

Nice place and ambiance. Maliit na smoking area nila ngayon. But hindi kasarapan ang coffee, it is within the same price range of Starbucks...kaya starbucks na lang!

Kea said...

This place sucks...