Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Grad School Diaries: Episode 19 - Rough Drafts

 Today, I got this on my blog in a comment form from a previous post :

"So, what happened, Kae? Did you already finish your thesis and already got your degree? Writing MA thesis and phd dissertation can really be hard, but it shouldn't be a problem if people are really dedicated on what they are doing. Anyway, do hope everything went well with your plan."


I have not been updating my grad school diaries, because, as much as I want to blog, I have to get my sh*t together and write my thesis, properly and for real. This photo is not even 1/8 of the number of drafts that I have at home. Some were misplaced in other parts of the house, but they are there. I know.

After four topic changes, seven drafts, not to mention revisions on the sides, finally today, I will hand over my manuscript to an external reviewer for a blind review. No dancing yet, I have yet to write another journal article based on the recommendations from my guidance committee and external reviewer.

I have to admit that it is only lately that I have been really dedicated to finish the manuscript because:

  • I want to be able to start reading other stuff (read: chick literature) other than my thesis literature. 
  • I want to have my degree before my birthday this year.
  • I want to fully concentrate on other stuff that I have at work that needs writing.
  • I want to start my other planned extra curricular activities post-work shift without having to worry for revisions and deadlines at the back of my mind.
So dear Ms. Eastwood (who left the comment on my blog): Thank you reminding me to update this section of my blog and yes, I am also hoping that everything will go well with my plan.

I am getting there. :)



2 comments:

Kea said...

I'm a first time commenter, long time reader of your diaries. It's nice to know that I'm not alone with my thesis troubles. My jaw dropped when I saw your drafts. I'm nowhere even near your progress. I'd love to have a blog like yours but I simply don't have the time to do that. Ironically I still have time to comment on blogs (silly me). Any advice for someone who just can't get focused enough on thesis writing?

Kea said...

Hi Amy! My sincerest apologies for the late reply. Let me make it up to you by creating a whole new post inspired by your comment: http://keamistry.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-grad-school-diaries-episode-20-when.html