Wednesday, October 17, 2012

What happened to decent business conversations?


Image source

First and foremost, this post was not supposed to be bitchy. 

When I was 20 years old, my first job was to work for Americans. I was fascinated by how straight forward, upfront and honest they were that until now, it was probably the trait that not only I picked up, but I embraced whole heartedly. Maybe I just had a really damn good American Culture Trainer, but whatever it is, my being upfront (polite upfront) saved me a lot of time, irritation and energy.

Years later, not only I was able to learn to be straight forward and save time, I also learned to ask when I don't know what is.

So when I came to elbi (where people expect that you know everything by giving you the world's greatest university jargons) my being upfront with people that I don't know this place, this protocol, this whatever, definitely saved me a lot of time  (provided that my first semester in graduate school, I lost my sense of time). The world has been a little bit, kind of, nicer. That is because, I honestly do not know and that is why I am asking.

Now simple everyday transactions irritate the hell out of me. Like bank transactions:
Me: Can I ask for my account balance right after this deposit?
Teller: Our system is updating.

I am cutting this scenario short but bottomline is, she could've told me I cannot because the system is offline. I would understand.

Like booking a hotel/accommodation in a place up north. Of course I know the hotel standards are definitely not like those in the city. This actually happened right after we paid more than half of our stay before we even checked in.

Me: Hi Ma'am, does our reserved type of room have it's own bathroom? (we have the dorm-type)
Hotel: Yes, you have your own bathroom.
Me: Do you also provide complete toiletries as well? and May I ask if your hotel has a spa or a massage service?
Hotel:  Yes, we provide toiletries.
Me: How about the spa, ma'am?
Hotel: *No Reply*

Oh I'm sorry, did the hotel attendant suddenly had a cardiac arrest in the middle of the text exchange? Three weeks later, I asked again about the spa and did not get an answer. This is in the middle of a text exchange. If they dont have it, it's okay. It's not like we're going to back down or throw in a tantrum. It's just a question of having it or not. No big deal. Nothing personal.

And last but not the least, I was in the middle of speaking to a coordinator via text when I asked something that required a forwarded number and very defined yes or no. We were in the middle of texting when, and I need to stress this, that I POLITELY ASKED A QUESTION, I did not get a reply when it is her job to reply. And yes, I waited patiently for an update/reply for 24 hours before coming to a conclusion and never got it. 

Did someone fall into a coma in the middle of a text conversation of an event coordination?

Again, my apologies for being bitchy. I do not intend to blog today because I'm so swamped but I just couldn't help my self venting out.

What happened to decent conversations, never mind that it's over text? If you're speaking to someone face-to-face, you wouldn't just walk away just to NOT REPLY, especially if it's business-related. 




1 comment:

QueenB said...

This is soooo TRUE!!!