Wednesday, October 24, 2012

How the Brits got jiggy with it: The Tagalog-British-Kalingan Inter-cultural Wedding

On top of the Talama Ranch in Tabuk City, Kalinga is the reception of Kuya Stew and Jaydee's inter-cultural wedding. 

When we had the "pamamanhikan" before, we were told that it takes time ( I'm not sure if it was a month) to make the tent and make sure to cover the surroundings of the place.

Months before, Ate Chimy and I were BBMing each other and I was sending her photos that I took from my phone so that she will have an idea once she gets there. They flew in three days ahead of us and had more cultural immersion.






I think just about on every side of the ranch, your eyes will be welcomed by a view of the chico river or mountain which ate Chimayne describes as "breath taking".



Since it's the first ever inter-cultural wedding in our family, like ate Chimayne and the rest of their British friends, we don't know what to expect.

We had nice food at the reception. Food was flowing everywhere.



During the reception program, there is a Kalingan ritual where a piece of cloth will be given to Kuya and they will make him wear it to a thong. It's usually called "bahag" but I don't know what it is called in Kalinga.


Here's Kuya was being taught by one of Jaydee's Uncle how to put it on.



Gongs were brought out by the men, indicating there's more to this welcoming ritual:



Here's Kuya Stew being taught how to play the gong:


His British friends were also taught and invited to play the gong.



Here's a very short clip where the crowd went next:


Here's the complete video of the Gong Dance:



Here's Jaydee (Kuya's wife) dancing with my Aunt Edith (Kuya's mom and my mom's sister)


I can honestly say that I love the Gong dancing part. Almost all of their friends from UK joined in the fun and I can't remember the last wedding that I attended where the guests and the entourage are actually dancing.



Here's Kuya Stew looking awkward  trying to keep a straight, decent face while playing the gong. He knows I will blog about his wedding. (And because I'm a good cousin, I'm keeping the details to a minimum, haha!)




Spotted: My cousins Karin and Chimayne (with some of our relatives in the background) taking photos of the cultural wedding dance. The facial expression on Ate Chimy is precious!



My mom (the one in hand-painted piña dress) joined in the fun by dancing along with her friends and Jaydee's relatives.


I actually appreciate the experience and I couldn't help but take photos of some of the outfits from their cultural fabric. 


Here's the groom leading the Gong Dance with his bride in tow.



Here are the photos that my sister took:








 I love this photo of my cousin's friends.




Look how cool the couple's parents are: Auntie Edith (Kuya's mom) and Jaydee's Dad:


Uncle Dave seemed to be having loads of fun taking photos: 

Credits to my sister Aprille Araguas for taking the last batch of photos. We could've taken more photos and videos but I ran out of battery while Aprille left her spare memory card at the hotel.

My sister designed the church and wedding entourage, check the fabulous flowers and awesome church aisle at her website






No comments: