Friday, August 3, 2012

The [REAL] Anna Banana? (A video reply from the PLDT MYDSL Commercial)

Remember the PLDT MyDSL that I blogged about before? Apparently, the REAL Anna Banana came around and dropped a line to my old post with the link to her allegedly video reply to Derek's Anna Banana I love you a bunch song...


I am not sure if this is part of "testing the waters" of some advertising team/agency, but after watching the video here's what I thought:

  • This is too staged. Too scripted. Even the word/name ANNA in the background is too strategic. It didn't come natural. Or adorable. 
  • Song: The words are eaten up, I did not even understand that the first part of the song is a rap. If that is a rap, then I didn't recognize it.
  • I felt exhausted watching this girl sing "I'm not your friend but I'm still hot, hot, hot, hot"
  • The lyrics obviously smacked down the little boy Derek Lorenzo Song for the girl who he claims is the most awesome in class. But for someone who doesn't like Derek - it was an effort on "her" part to write a song, in the same melody, perform that gesture/steps with her hand or whatever that is and go around the world wide web promoting the video.
  • If this is for publicity, Bad publicity is still publicity.

The positive:
  • I personally think the girl in the video is pretty. But I think if I were really to think this is for real life, it seems she's a year older than Derek.
  • Cute bedroom. If I was her age I would love to have a room like hers.

Over-all:
  • If according to rules in Advertising in the Philippines where you cater to the "still" conservative mindset, I doubt if this will make it, because commercials are supposed to show and promote good values. (Remember the old McDonald's commercial that got sacked? It promoted bribery for it showed the Dad handing out French Fries to the cute little kid in exchange for her to answer questions in her Daddy's favor.)
  • I know it's just a video, but it's not just about the video. It's the message that the video delivered. You know when they say if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say it? We'll if you don't have anything nice to say don't film and promote it.
  • There's just too much negativity on the internet. Enough said. 

If you've seen this video, what do you think? 


**UPDATE***

Here's the UPDATED Video. It turned out to be the a teaser and it's really the video used in the commerical. But the entire video was not shown in the commercial. Here's the TVC:



No comments: