Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Qualms of a Graduate School Student: Episode 5 - What Sem-Ender?


Dear student self,

Two weeks ago you’re done with your presentation. Last week you finally submitted two papers and one group paper. Congratulations, you have completed 4 units of this semester! Yes, four...wait! Aren’t you enrolled for 7 units this sem? This is your last 7 official units as a graduate student? Where did your last 3 units go?

Last year, as soon as all the requirements have ended, you're already planning sem-ender parties with friends in graduate school. You all want to de-stress, relax, thank the lord that the semester is over and you need to unwind and reward yourself. 
Image Source

But No. Your sem is not over and it's going to extend through the summer.

Damn! I still have 3 units of my master’s thesis and I’ve already consumed all units of my MS thesis with my proposal still hangin’. I’ve literally chopped it in half hoping to narrow it down, in fact it became too narrow that it almost went poof right before my eyes.

I cannot write like this. It’s a good thing I have a job on the side to keep me from going crazy. But I am starting to be really excited about planning this whole new career/passion or whatever that is like just how I was back in 2004. Except this time I’m more realistic and, allow me to say it, fierce. But no, I have to get that degree first. I want it, I need it and I bled and will bleed for it.

Friends have told me how some of them have been out of focus because work came, career came and life happened. Graduate school is keeping me sane but it’s turning me insane at the same time.

I cannot find my space. I cannot find my pace.

I keep looking and waiting for that AHA moment to come, it comes in different forms only to confuse me more and the next thing I know I will be cutting my manuscript in half again.

Oh dear.



No comments: