Sunday, August 14, 2011

Some kind of a Book Phase

The phase that I am in has something to do with the books that I buy. Like when I was having fun making mistakes and adventures in my early twenties, I bought Straight Talking book by Jane Green and got hooked on Chick Lit for as long as I can remember.


When I was thinking about my career, I bought the book 48 Laws of Power by Robert Greene. When I was contemplating about my promotion, switching companies and dealing with office politics, I bought Nice Girls don't get the corner office by Lois Frankel.


When I finally took a break from whatever single hood phase that stressed me, I bought Bridget Jones' Diary and the BJ Edge of Reason and felt what it was like in her shoes...


Now I don't know what phase I am in. I am pretty much have healed from the quarter life crisis and looking forward to something new. I am taking my time making things right, baby steps as it may seem, but I still get stressed thinking about the second half of the year- next year!


Today I was once again in a book sale and bought the following books:





I have a strong feeling that Hypocrite in a pouffy white dress was meant to be found by me. I was reading the reviews and raves and it seems like a hilarious book. Just exactly what I wanted.


I was actually reading a review from the net:
This book is easily the funniest I have read in the past five years.Whether she's describing an encounter with a Maharishi who looks like "a lawn troll in drag," or her teen obsession with Mick Jagger ("Where were the magazines for 15 year old girls in love with British bi-sexual coke-heads, thank you?"), Gilman's delightfully warped perspective abounds. An unapologetic sexual hedonist ("Being told to `wait until marriage' was like being ordered to hold our breath for twelve years") she weaves hilarious tales of a youth misspent "staggering around bars in lace stockings and leather jackets, then coming home with toilet paper stuck to our shoes" as well as working in a series of dead-end jobs ("like terminal illnesses") that make you wince with recognition. Ultimately, however, it is Gilman's razor-sharp intelligence and smart-mouth feminism that leave you thinking well after the laughter fades.


 The second book, Symphony X, was just bought out of a whim. I remember buying the raunchy Belle de Jour: Diary of a London Call Girl when I was bored. I remembered my cousin Chimayne telling me she likes naughty novels as well, so I bough the book.


Here's  a review of Symphony X from the net:


Reader beware and girder your loins - there is some hot and heavy porn style sex in this book so I wouldn't recommend lending it to your mother.... or reading it anywhere someone can look over your shoulder and catch on to what you're reading! Apart from all the rampant sex with strangers is otherwise somewhat average book...


What the heck? These two only costs me Php160.00, I still got a pretty good deal. I can't wait for more chick literature books from my cousin Stew when he comes home for my birthday.







No comments: