Monday, April 11, 2011

Guide to UPLB Grad School

I had plans of pursuing grad school, I just didn't know that I would "afford" to have a devil-may-care attitude to throw my girl-about-town life in the city and be what they call a... " Graduate School Resident". So when the opportunity presented itself, I would really be stupid if I don't decide to give it a go.

The first week, I got culture shocked. I was still having this "jetlag" from being a vampire/someone who worked at night for six straight years (I worked in the Business Process Outsourcing  industry for 6 years), and at the same time adjusting to the laid back lifestyle and living with back with my parents. ( Been on my own since I was sixteen).

So I came up with this: Guide to UPLB Graduate School.
WARNING: Some photos were taken using camera phones (VGA and 2MP resolution and point and shoot camera).
  • It is best to always set other people's expectations. Tell them it's your first time, or you're not really from "here" so you would save yourself the "ang-stupid-naman-nito" looks. It's a good thing I did ( even if I grew up in UPLB) because people are nicer knowing that you're new and majority of them are more than willing to show you around and help you set expectations.
  • Another thing: This community always assumes that you know or you're from here. So prepare yourself for hear all kinds of acronyms from GS, OR, CDC, OVCCA, etc. 
  • Again, you will not die if you ask.
Enrollment
  • Do not expect to be officially enrolled within the day. Regardless of your academic status ( Freshman entry, Regular, Probationary and the likes). 
  • Signing up for a SystemOne account - (online enrollment thingy) makes yourlife easier however, if you are a newbie like me, expect the unexpected.
  • Wear something flat( ballerina flats, crocs, flipflops and the likes). If you're a freshman enrolling for the first time, the hospital where you're going to have your medical exam taken is located up in the mountain and the distance from your department from one another is always almost a jeep ride away. But then you have no choice but walk (unless you have your own transpo).

UP = University of Pila 


Class cards, once you have one consider yourself officially enrolled
Classrooms
  • Some classrooms are air-conditioned, some are not.
  • Grad School classes are usually held in air-conditioned classrooms. (yey!)
  • If you do not know where your next classroom is, save your self the hassle, Ask. Politely.
The search for class rooms
Library and Books.
Most Departments/Colleges have their own "within building" Reading Room / Libraries. This will save you time and hassle by going to the UP Main Library which is located...
UPLB Main Library, also the current Office of the Chancellor
Getting books/resources was "THE" Ultimate Challenge for me, because when I was still taking up my undergraduate studies in Manila, there's National Bookstore etc., and the ever-reliable Recto - where they sell everything from fake IDs, reference books, thesis and even fake College Diplomas.

I found myself hanging out in Photocopy shops first than in coffee shops because this scenario is super common in UPLB: Photocopying the entire book and photocopying the "already photocopied" hand outs!
Image Source: Books are way out, photocopied hand outs are in!

They require you to create a "Plan of Coursework" also known as "The Time table of all the courses you're going to take and how many years do you plan to finish up your Masters." For MS Students, max of 5 years, for PhD, Max of 7 years. First things first: Find an adviser, best to ask the Dean,
  • The Adviser is going to be the one you're going to report to and the one who will take care of you during your entire residency in Graduate School.
  • Always check with your college secretary for the list of courses that you will take. 
  • Ask help with your Adviser in choosing the courses you'll take so that you will have a better career path. 
  • Like doctors, Advisers have "Consultation Hours" where you can go to their own private offices and talk about your graduate school plans, usually it involves thesis.
  • Listen. They know it better than you do.
  • Some Advisers are usually on a trip that you don't meet formally or just interact via email. Please be informed that while these "Advisers" are Class Professors as well, they are also "Consultants". And by Consultants, I mean "Experts" that are being invited every now and then, (if not on a monthly basis) by countries all over Asia to give lecture or speak at international conferences. While it is quite an agony not being able to reach them when you need to ( Again, Please be informed that you are no longer in your undergraduate years and that you are expected to navigate your own ship), I have come to realize that if not for these trips, these "Consultants" will not be as effective as they are now. At least they are not just all "theory".
Sample of Planning your Coursework

On the Non-Academic Side...

Must know at least the oldest local pub where you can grab a drink when stressed out.
The good old IC's bar where the batches from Circa 1990 til the early part of the new Millenium still hang out 
 When going around Campus, you either have: Your own transportation, via jeep, or you walk.
  • Jeeps only go around the campus, not inside the campus for they are promoting a "walking" campus.
  • If you opted to walk, make sure to wear heels or flats for the buildings are usually far from each other. 
  • Don't forget the ultimate must have: Umbrella. UPLB weather is unpredictable. It may be all sunny in the morning then you'll get drenched by the rain in the afternoon.
A Walking Campus
Last but not the least, don't forget to enjoy your residency!
UPLB Campus from the Chancellor's Office View
What I learned from my first year:
  • Better if you know what you want before pursuing grad school. You wouldn't want to start picking out subjects that will not be relevant in the future.
  • The people/staff in Graduate School Department are the friendliest! 
  • Sadly, I lost faith in deadlines when I experienced elbi. To say that LB campus is an epitome to "Filipino Time", it is an understatement.
  • UPLB community is super, duper nice and forgiving ( backed with info provided by my close friend who had her Masters in UP Diliman campus.)
  • It is really better to have working experience first before pursuing grad school, because majority of the discussions are from experiences. It's like merging theory with reality. You will learn from your classmates and you will be able to identify who has "depth". And those with working experiences are more risky.
  • Two must haves to survive grad school: Time to read books and references (because professors expect that you already read the references in advance)  and a trusted circle of grad school friends whom you can brainstorm with. (My thesis topic was actually born during a casual coffee/inuman session with my grad school friends). And according to our professor, (who's in her 30s and have just gotten her PhD) what made her survive grad school was through off-classroom ambiance alcohol-inspired brainstorming with friends.
I officially survived my first academic year as a full time graduate school student. I have one more year. *crossing fingers*

Please, please wish me luck and learning this coming academic year! :)


3 comments:

Ian said...

Hello. Is this blog still active? :) I just want to ask few questions about the school. And by the way, I am an incoming freshmen :D

Ian said...

Hi. Is this blog still active? I just want to ask few questions about the school. By the way, I am an incoming freshmen this June :D

Kea said...

Yes this is still active. Freshman undergrad or graduate school (MS or PhD?)