Tuesday, April 22, 2014

#JapanDiaries: Instagrammed Adventures during Sakura Season

I had such major vacation hang over after our Japan Trip. Mainly because I have never walked so much since our trip in Singapore back in 2010 and at the same time I had to adjust to the sudden separation anxiety change of weather.

For those asking for our itinerary so I'll share it in this post. Actually, our itinerary was made by our Kuya Benz, who is Japan-based for more than 5 years now. We had to maximize our stay and be realistic enough so we consulted him for tips regarding travel time and commute route coming from his "mansion". (In Japan, they call their pad/flat/apartment housed in a low-rise condominium-like building ,a mansion.) For our first three days in Japan, Aprille and I were by ourselves, following Kuya's instructions,  discovering commute and mapping our routes through GPS. 

We arrived in the evening of my sister's birthday at Kansai Airport. From the time we landed at 8pm, we got home at around 11 pm (after taking the bus and a train going to Kuya Benz's place). I insisted to have a photo instagrammed right away for the first ever Sakura I saw, just by walking along the street/closed shopping street.

Konnichiwa Sakura at 12mn!
Now I don't really want to flood my blog with Japan Diaries from Day 1 to six so I will just post snippets and highlights from our trip:

Start of our itinerary after the jump!


Day One: Osaka Castle, Yodobashi- Umeda, and Floating Garden Observatory

We wasted no time and got up early to brave the commute. We got so excited that we immediately took... the WRONG train! After getting lost twice, we finally saw Sakura in broad daylight!


We went to Osaka Castle for a quick tour. (Entrance fee: 500 yen). The Osaka Castle, consists of 5 floors, is a museum and taking photos/video is not allowed on some floors.

Because it is Sakura Season, every imaginable Sakura themed souvenir will be in sight!


We went to Yodobashi Camera next, after walking a lot and taking trains. Yodobashi houses the most affordable gadgets you can find in Osaka. It's like a huge building filled with gadgets from Mac products, vintage cameras to selfie/monopods, name it! It's actually a few thousand pesos cheaper compared to prices in the Philippines.

We went to the Floating Garden Observatory next (Entrance: 500 yen). This is where they hold sky weddings. There's really no "green garden" up there, but you will find art installation, view of the whole Osaka and we're lucky enough to even catch our first sunset in Japan.


Also a portion at the top pf the building shows lovers lockets. By the time the sun set, we were already tired and knew how much walking and train transfers we're going to make, so we decided to grab a bite at the train station. We had McDonald's to go, with Sakura flavored drink (It tastes like cherry), and cheese burger (it tastes like the ones we had in the Philippines, only they have wider, not bigger, patty.)


Day Two: Universal Studios Japan (USJ) - must dedicate an entire full day in Universal Studios. Easy to go to Universal Studios because they have their own train stop (Universal City).

They have option for tickets whether just a few rides or park entrance. We decided to go all in with the unlimited rides. Good thing we switched our day in USJ to a weekday, so we got to ride almost all the major rides. (Harry Potter ride will open in August 2014, and Water world is closed again!) 

I rode the Hollywood dream ride both The Dream and The Backdrop and I thought I would pass out! I like the Backdrop than the other one. Thank you Aprille for bullying me into getting on this ride. I can now say I made it through this ride!

We were told by Kuya Benz that we should stay until the USJ parade, and boy I'm so glad we did! I have videos of the parade uploaded like this one.

When in Universal Studios, my sister and I like to check out their stores. The one on the right (a lady holding two cups, I think) is something that, to this day, I know nothing about. (But it's sold in USJ, so I'm thinking, it must be still kid-appropriate?) 

My sister, Aprille, googled that there's a Hello Kitty siopao sold in Japan, and we found one in USJ! This tastes good but expensive (around 400 yen). 

I never knew how much Hello Kitty is celebrated in Japan. We went to her design studio, fashion line, shoe collection, had an exclusive photo op with the Kitty herself. When they saw Aprille wearing a red Hello Kitty shirt, the park staff exclaims "Hello Kitty!!!" with such glee ( I don't know where they get their consistent energy level, but I am impressed) and then gave us Hello Kitty stickers for free!

Some photos at the USJ we took using a monopod, and Japanese people stop, look and smile. I think they find it funny that we use a monopod in taking photos of ourselves.

Day Three: Nara, Todaiji Temple, Namba, Shinsaibashi, Dotonbori, Onsen 

We're getting better taking trains compared to our first day but when we reached Nara, we walked the entire block only to find out the tourist desk is just on the second floor. Finally we reached the Todaiji Temple (Entrance fee:500 yen ).

There were a lot of tourists and kids on a field trip. I took a photo of these two classmates, pulling one out of the hole. They said to make a wish before going through the hole and if you can make it through the hole, your wish will come true.

"Where can we see the deers?" We asked the nice lady at the Tourist Office.

"Oh it's everywhere!" She said.

And yes, they are everywhere. Approaching people, crossing pedestrians, photo-bombing pictures, and I was even involved in a little tug of war with one deer because he kept eating the tag off Aprille's bag (but look how scared I was).


Very timely to celebrate National Siblings Day with Aprille in Japan!

We went to Shinsaibashi ( the famous shopping street) and had the tourist obligatory shot at the Dotonbori. We didn't stay long for we had to reach Kakogawa by 8pm to have dinner and go to an Onsen with Kuya Benz and his Japanese friends.

By the time we arrived at Kuya Benz's pad, we met the Ikeda Family, they were so sweet they gave us two handpicked bouquet of fresh flowers and assorted Japanese chocolates the minute we walked in! (Lakas maka- beauty queen!)


Day Four: Himeji Castle, Kobe- Sannomiya, Kakogawa

The Himeji Castle is set to formally open next year (2015) after 6 years of renovation. But it's a good thing Cherry Blossoms are everywhere for photo opportunity. 

I also noticed how Japan is full of people riding bikes. It's actually their lifestyle. No wonder they are so fit. I really loved people watching especially grandmas on a bike and mommies with babies in tow, still riding a bike. Bikes are also regulated and came with permits in Japan so you cannot just borrow one and ride it all over town.

You know you are in another country when tulips are regular sightings that you can just pick them from the street (of course, we didn't). Aprille, who's a wedding and events florist, had so much fun taking photos of all pretty flowers the entire trip.

See the blue elephant below? These are warning signs for kids. I learned that kids in Japan gets trained early to inform them that when they see this sign, they are not supposed to go beyond the border.

Right photo at the bottom is the fanciest ladies rest room that I have ever seen! It's like a rest room for a royalty. The toilet even had seat warmers, 2 types of bidet, baby holders, back ground sound, etc.

Kuya Benz took us to Kobe where we saw the ruins of the 1995 Earthquake. After 2 years, Japan was able to restore everything and kept the ruins in memory of event.

Also, while in Japan, we experienced 2 mini earth shakes (one at the mansion and one at the subway). I told Kuya Benz about it and it's normal in Japan. He said when he was still living in Osaka, he gets about 10  mini shakes in a day.

There are lots of street performers in Kobe. I saw a white guy street performer speaking in fluent Japanese.

We went to a bar that night and I took a photo of the bottles of the customers who purchased alcoholic drinks and had their unfinished bottles reserved with a photo of them hanging on the neck of the bottle.


By night time, we met some of Kuya Benz Filipino church mates, Ate Let and Donna, who are so nice to treat us to an early dinner. We went to Ate Let's bar after and experienced Karaoke in a Japanese pub.



Day Five: Kyoto, Kyoto, Cute-toooo! 

A Filipino couple we met at the Osaka Floating Garden Observatory told us that an entire whole day in Kyoto is not enough. Since we only have limited time, we dedicated an entire day and picked the best ones to visit.

Kuya Benz told us the more narrow the road, the more authentic the Japanese street is. Kyoto was filled with a lot of visitors that day, and we also made sure to have a photo with the Bamboo Forest. 


So many ladies (and couples) in Kimonos that we took a photo with one. Also, as we were walking towards the temple, one souvenir shop offers free taste of mochi and green tea. We tried all and that's how we had our lunch for free! 

Aprille also bought tumblers at Starbucks and while we were waiting, a staff went around and offered free taste of their new drink! (I forgot what it is)


Day Six: Kakogawa and other things Japanice!

Kakogawa (where we stayed) is 5hours and 58 minutes or 6 hours and 11 minutes (by land and in current traffic) from Osaka. We took the train mostly and it's approximately 2 hours everyday from our home station to our destination of the day.

Cherry Blossoms were readily available every where and in Kakogawa, I had my first ramen ( not a ramen eater) at Ramen Taru and it's the best Ramen in Japan that happened to have a branch in Kakogawa (Lucky!). It was so good, we went there for 2 consecutive days before leaving for the Philippines. 

By the time we leave, Sakura trees started turning green. We're very thankful that we got to experience Sakura before it turned green.

Election season is also near, I was told. I checked out their campaign posters and how they do campaigns. I was told that politicians do not come with an entourage (unlike in the Philippines) and they just have a speaker/amplifier and deliver a speech to the busy public on trains stations, etc, alone. I actually saw one, alone and dressed up in a suit, turned out he was a politician campaigning. In the Philippines, it looks like those religious groups handing out flyers.

The weather in Kakogawa is always 2-3 degrees colder than Osaka. Thank goodness, Aprille brought worker's gloves that came in handy.

The escalators are not as fast as the ones in Singapore, but in Japan, even the stairs are cute. When riding escalators, always keep right and do not block the left side, for those in a hurry. I am always at the wrong side when riding the escalator. 

I said in Instagram that the train has been our second home since we're on the train at least 4 hours a day. I enjoyed the commute, people watching, the rush hour, and seeing ladies in Kimonos getting in and off the train. I also have witnessed a drunk guy peeing on a soda can, a disabled person laughing hysterically alone in a train. ( By the way, Japan empowers its disabled citizens. They take trains, go to malls alone and all the facilities, both public and private, are disabled-friendly.)

We were so amused by Kuya Benz's door bell that video records visitors that we always come in prepared before ringing the bell.

We usually have our breakfast on the train to save time. Aprille bought this bread available only at convenience stores located in train stations and it's my super favorite bread in Japan. 

On the right side, check out the Japanese version of horror booth located at one of the temples we visited. 

We love the floral flavored ice cream given to us by Kuya Benz on our second night in Japan. We also had authentic Mochi, pound rice cake,  (not like the one here) in all varieties.

The stationery Forest is like Disneyland for Arts and Crafts enthusiast like Aprille. I was so tired that day (and it was our flight the next day) that I paid for the stuff we bought and forgot where I put it. I came back first thing in the morning and was glad that I left it there and not some place else.

When in Japan, there are other types of toilet. It was the only horror story that I have of Japan because I am not comfortable squatting. I don't even know where to properly position myself! I used these Japanese style toilets 2 times only during our stay and usually on subway train stations. 

Remember we received flowers from our new Japanese friends? We took them home as "presento"(gift) and I'm glad the airport staff allowed us. I even had a flower preserved in my book. Other passengers told us we're lucky the flowers were allowed to be hand carried inside the aircraft, because she tried taking home a cactus from the trip, but was not allowed. Hihi. :)




A week after I returned from Japan, I remembered I had a Japan Bucket List:

See Cherry Blossoms and have a photo with the Cherry Blossoms area.
Eat Authentic Japanese Food (Ramen, Sushi, Sashimi, Tonkatsu) - Also learned from Kuya Benz's Japanese friend that California Maki is not Japanese food, from the name itself, it's America's version of a maki.
Learn to eat using chopsticks and take home Japanese Chopsticks
Visit and explore Universal Studios in Osaka
Experience Onsen - My sister did it! 
Visit a castle/temple
Buy a Daruma Doll -
Buy Japanese Make up - Same price in the Philippines. 

Actually, our Japan trip is semi-impulsive. We booked the ticket first because it was on sale, then after the purchase we applied for a Japanese Visa. We weren't packaged/tied up with a tour or agency. Our budget focused more on sight seeing and experiencing Japan like a local, than shopping. So I did not buy anything like make up, clothes, and other things. 


Of course, our trip wouldn't be possible without the the help of Kuya Benz. The best thing about visiting Japan and staying with a friend is you get insider tips how to maximize your time in Japan. We visited 4 prefectures in Japan in a short span of 6 days. Not Bad!

And even though we only got to spend 2 days with Kuya Benz because he has work on weekdays, the best thing about touring Japan with a local is you reduce your walking time by following and discovering shortcuts, and having a translator to cut the charades and sign language communication in half!


Thank you, Thank you, Thank you so much Kuya Benz! We had so much fun! 


I just checked Travel to Japan and See Cherry Blossoms off my vision board! 


P.S. Stay tuned for my next post #JapanDiaries: Thrifty Travel Tips and Tricks which I will write next!




1 comment: