Tuesday, March 12, 2013

What if I saw an ex-boyfriend?

Of course, my cray cray friends would ask, "Which one?"


I think, its safe to say that I've had my share of ex-boyrfriends. I do not mean to write about ex-boyfriends today but Cecile Van Straten of Chuvaness, wrote something that triggered me to have something to write about today. While she wrote about never being friends with an ex boyfriend, I somehow managed to keep two.

I have imagined how it would be like running into some of them.



I thought I would run into one, probably in Quezon City, with his kids in tow, strolling at the mall. He probably won't recognize me now, but I know I got him upset when I blogged about him in 2008 and he ended up as a laughingstock in his office. Good thing, we did not ran into each other.

There's this other one who I would probably ran into, had I joined friends this year to a trip up north. He would probably call me by name in his "highly distinguishable"  accent, and I would probably say Hello to him, but will not catch up over coffee and I already know I'd be dialing my best friend's digits to fill her up with my "Que horror" moment.

Or this someone, who have already flown elsewhere. I have imagined running into him at a nearby mall, and I know I would smile and say "Hi" and he would ignore with that grunt look on his face, and avoid me. Who can blame him? He told me he was upset because I did not even get upset  or tried to make him stay when he said "the people from greener pastures called and were offering me a job" then waited for my reaction, probably expecting welled up eyes, but all I could muster was "If that's what the universe wants, then go!" I'm sorry honey, I really did not get the memo that apparently, you are expecting a reaction from me and I am supposed to hold you down and beg you to stay. Bad girlfriend. *smirk*

I actually ran into one, I think last year. Just when I was getting out of the car, he stared at me blankly and I did not even recognized that it's him. I was wearing wind blown hair, no make up with my pissed off face that I got a bad parking slot. After 5 seconds I realized I wanted to say Hi to him (because we've been good friends before) but then I learned from his friend years before that he hated my guts and never recovered.

But it's different for performance artists, Marina Abramovic and Ulay. What was written about them was:
 
Marina Abramovic and Ulay started an intense love story in the 70s, performing art out of the van they lived in. When they felt the relationship had run its course, they decided to walk the Great Wall of China, each from one end, meeting for one last big hug in the middle and never seeing each other again.

Marina & Ulay, 1980, courtesy of Ulay & Marina Abramovic (source) 
At her 2010 MoMa retrospective Marina performed ‘The Artist Is Present’ as part of the show, where she shared a minute of silence with each stranger who sat in front of her. Ulay arrived without her knowing and this is what happened.



Did you see the way they "talked" through their eyes? Did you see Ulay's face? I did not plan on watching the video, but I did watch it anyway and I had unexpected tears coming from who-knows-where?

If I were Marina, in this situation, there's only one person that comes into my mind that would only trigger this kind of reaction from me, while in the middle of a performance art.

But fortunately, I will never have to deal with him, ever again. :)






2 comments:

Kea said...

Awww..nakakaiyak nga! Yung smile ni Marina nung unang tingin nya kay Ulay at yung reaction ni Ulay na parang hindi mapakali tas naluluha..haaay..automatic may naisip din akong tao na malamang ganito ang maging eksena pag nagkita kami uli

Kea said...

Twice ko pinanood Mama Vhec. Grabe, no words no? Haaaay...