Friday, March 15, 2013

Four roommates you wouldn't want to have all at the same time

Yesterday, I find my self witnessing tenant issues. Someone's mom went to my mom to escalate boarding house concerns. In a nutshell, she's fighting for her daughter since she can't handle her roommate who let's her boyfriend sleep in (without our permission/knowledge of course) and they've gotten into a confrontation then this girl went to mommy so, mommy is here, venting all her glory, to my mom, the owner.



I've lived away from my parents when I was 16. I was sent in a dormitory to be roommates with all kinds of other girls. I've lived with spoiled brats, b*tches, low key, nerd, goody two shoes and the cool ones, of course, and I must say I never had to drag my mom to fix my roommates issues, even when I lived in a condo with all these other girls when I started working at 20 years old.

I'm not saying I am the best roommate ever. I can sleep with the lights on, even when there's music playing, I respect and understand personal space, I don't borrow stuff without permission from my roommate unless it's an umbrella on a rainy day (but I will text her first) and some stuff related to states of emergency. I am not even a neat freak, but I am an organized mess. I keep my shit where it's not going to get in the way of anyone.

But I must say, hearing the stories brought back funny memories and reminded me why, I enjoyed living alone and having my very own apartment when I was 24. Here are the four roommates you wouldn't want your daughter to have, for I wouldn't want it for my self either!



Klepto Kara

Since my Dad have taught me and my sister Aprille, to always secure our things, Klepto Kara was not able to steal money from me (she stole money, designer jeans, cigarettes, change,  from the others) but she stole my unopened milk that I chilled in the fridge.

But my friends had a Kleptomaniac roommate before named Tanya, and she steals 500 pesos from  wallets. One time, they planted a 500 peso bill for her to get it, and she did. But little did she know, they have recorded the serial number, unlocked Tanya's closet behind her back and found the 500 bill, together with all the other 500 bills that she kept as a collection in an ice cream can. They confronted Tanya about it, she got furious but did not show it, then one time Tanya waited for all of them to go home during the weekends then burned the entire room down by lighting up cigarettes and burning the mattresses. Yes, there was a lawsuit and the entire room was ruined including school projects, make up, clothes, bean bag, and a whole lot of other stuff.

Yucky Yolanda

Yucky Yolly was not exactly my roommate, but I usually hang out a lot in their room since I'm friends with all her roommates. Yucky Yolly stays at the upper bunk of the bed, but too scared to pee in the wee hours of the morning so she cut a gallon of empty mineral water and made it her urinal-without cover! The next morning I got horrifying stories from my friends that the whole room smelled urine while Yucky Yolly is sound asleep.


Cheesy Chona

That roommate whose boyfriend always hangs out in your shared apartment. I remember beating her in going home so that I can hog the couch all to my self. I so wanted to demand "rent share" from him since the only thing that he doesn't do in our pad is take a bath and sleep. But he's there from sun up til sun down. He's every where around the house, they converse in public baby-talks each other like crazy, too much that I can't even handle. I can't even walk around comfortably in the apartment because he's always there, too close for comfort, and too at home.


Hypocrite Hannah

I've had one memorable roommate and I met her in my early twenties. Hypocrite Hannah is a catholic school girl, convent-bred like what she always project from Saint Something school in Quezon City. We, as roommates, have crazy, Sex and the City-like stories and she'd be going like "Ewww", claiming she is a virgin and wanted to preserve herself.

One new year's eve, I went back to Manila unannounced and since I have our condo's room key, I opened our room to find a butt naked Hypocrite Hannah, on all fours doing the deed with her boyfriend, while wearing black socks! (Which in the long run, boyfriend turned out to be one of the IT guys in our office department) I screamed my heart out, because the experience is like seeing someone's head roll over, towards you,  the moment you open your closet. She moved out that same week and just asked her parents to get her stuff from the apartment because she can no longer show her face. But that leaves us an empty slot that we had to find a replacement for her as soon as possible and that we all had to shoulder her rent share.

I've had other kinds of roommates, but most of them are tolerable. I even had two aspiring beauty queens fighting over the electric fan but that's just funny. But those four actually topped my list of horrifying roommies. Of course, when you're living with other people it's really hard to deal with them especially if they're not responsible enough to pay rent on time and you get to be the one organizing things and reminding everyone of the monthly dues. That's why when I turned 24, even if it's heavy on the pocket, I prayed really hard for God to help me find a nice apartment that I can call my home so I don't have to deal with these crazy girls. And when you pray really hard and sincere enough, God will really help you find an apartment like how I found mine.


No comments: