"You can't have two alpha male dogs! One has to be the Alpha. That's why they're always fighting!" said Kuya Stew.
I have three male dogs in the house. Since my dad passed away, I am now their official "feeder". They've always been nice to me, but now they get my hand gestures when I shoo them out of the house.
I do not keep them on leash. Why? Because I found out and witnessed that they are fighter dogs. They don't bark just for the sake of barking. They don't act brave and turn on war-mode just because that's what is expected of them. One of our gardeners were actually bitten by one so that's when I knew I am going to unleash this baby and let the hell loose.
Visitors and Guests must be accompanied by either me or my mom because our dogs look like they are always going in for the kill. It didn't really bother me that much until I realized that I actually have to pay for the anti-rabies shots of the unlucky one who pissed my dogs off. That's why we take extra caution in opening the gates with guests in tow.
The problem with having all male dogs is when they see a female dog in heat on the street, they "kung fu" each other til they hear me scream. I am starting to sound like a nagging mom with two sons fighting.
| My two alpha male dogs |
The bad news with Scooby is this doggy always gets out of the yard once the gates open to look for that female doggy in heat. We had to run after him in the middle of the night and call him by his name late at night, disturbing our neighbors. The good thing about him is when he knows that I am too tired to look for him, he will come back before 12midnight and sometimes if I forget to open the gate, he will wait til morning.
The bad news about Bieber is this dog was such a charmer and sweet but he is a jealous freak. If you're going to pat the other, you must pat him too! He gets jealous with food, that I came up with a system to keep them busy and not mind each other's business. The good thing about Bieber is when I came out looking for his brother, he stayed inside the gate waiting, and when Scooby finally arrives, he goes on full attack mode, like as if he is scolding his brother.
Then one night, while Scooby was out and as he was just about to get in, a couple of dogs from our neighbors got out too ticking Bieber's switch to turn on his fighter mode. He barked and rushed out of the gate to attack the other dogs Scooby was going after until this motorcycle coming out of nowhere hit Bieber. I heard him yelp and rolled on the ground like a victim of hit and run. The motorcycle just fled away.
Like a warrior, he stumbled, stood up, limped along the sides while I ran after him. I thought he is going to die on the sidewalk. But when he saw me, he got up, walked slowly and back home. I checked if he has broken bones: none. I checked is his face was deformed like the dog I saw on the news: still intact. When I saw his mouth, there I saw the bleeding. He was really hurt. And I saw how he was hurt right before my eyes because I stood there frozen when it happened.
I cannot imagine what if Bieber died after getting hit? I am not prepared to handle these things. I'm not really a super passionate dog-lover, in fact, I don't like picking up their dog's poop (who does?) and cleaning up after them, but after this, I cannot imagine what if this happens to an actual child?
Good thing my sister was at the house and got cold water to make him drink to stop the bleeding. The next morning, I fed them with extra food and special viand. He was back to his usual growling-at-strangers self. He's got red marks from the hit on his legs but he was back to his fighter self.
Now, I let him stay indoors to hang out with me in the living room. I'm glad he is still home.
No comments:
Post a Comment