Monday, July 9, 2012

50 Shades of Grey: The preliminary

I wonder why 50 Shades of Grey is trending on Twitter this morning. When I checked the tweets, there's nothing interesting.

I joined the 50 Shades of Grey bandwagon about more than two weeks ago and I have not read further than Chapter 10. I actually miss doing nothing and curling up with a good book on a weekend but now I have more important readings to do than read the erotic novel. (It's not my first erotic novel because I already have Belle de jour: Diary of the London Call girl and Symphony X, to add to my list but I have not come around to actually finish reading them.) So, it's been sitting on my nightstand for a few weeks now. Unlike Twilight Saga where I bought the entire set, and bought another complete set to give away to my cousin, I only got the first book to see what the fuss is all about.

So, to answer the inquiries:

  • Yes, there's a lot of sex in it. (I hope you have a really darn good imagination when you read it)
  • Yes, it does not have the birds and the bees shit.
  • Yes, it's a take off from the Twilight Saga. (Really, like the female lead character Anastasia Steele is all clumsy and virgin like Bella Swan from Twilight, while Christian Grey is older and ridiculously rich for a 27 year old, similar to Vampire Edward Cullen of Twilight, err...except that he is over a hundred years older.)


I don't think it's fair for me to provide a full review (read: judgement) of this because again, I've only read the first 10 chapters because I'm juggling work and thesis season at the same time. But to be honest, I wasn't really super hooked that I just couldn't put the book down. Funny how I was hooked on a high school love story of Twilight and wasn't really drawn to it with 50 Shades of Grey which is classified for mature audience.

Still, I will finish reading the book to give proper justice and so that it won't be such a waste. Despite of the unimpressed book reviews that I keep stumbling upon on the internet, I will definitely finish reading it before the movie (rumor?) comes out.



No comments: