Wednesday, November 5, 2014

18 things I would tell my 21 year old self

What I would tell my 21 year old self:

  • You will have all these Plan A, B, and C after college graduation and life will not turn out the way you planned and it will be okay.
  • You will make two big mistakes in your twenties and those two will be your best teachers.
  • You will start your career with a sucky job but you will actually find a job that you really like and be proud of.
  • You will smoke, drink and party, thinking you are invincible in your twenties. By 28, you will quit your vices by going cold turkey and you will make it. 
  • You think you can no longer resign and take time to figure yourself out at 23? It will catch up when you're 26 and your change of life will start from there.
  • You will have your fun in the city and by being independent, but you will be back, reformed.You will retreat from the forces of the Universe then later find out that it was for your own good.
  • You will flunk an eligibility test but you will have a Masteral Degree before you turn 30.
  • You think you will work for TV and Publishing as a writer, but you will actually become a writer for a highly regarded university and work for the government.
  • You will lose some long time friends but it will be worth it. You will be lucky to stay close friends with those you grew up with after all these years.
  • You will fall, hard in love, and become unimaginably stupid. But don't worry, you will be saved.
  • You will be failed by some people, even those you highly respect and who you look up to. But you will learn your great lessons from them. 
  • You will lose loved ones, and learn that you will have no choice but to go on. And you will be fine. 
  • You will ignore it, but your father is right. You will fight it, but your mother is right.
  • You will travel, meet people, read a lot, and do a lot of research in pursuit of happiness only to find out that it actually starts with you.
  • You will witness how people just like to talk but can't really walk and eventually learn to stop listening to outside forces, trust yourself, and depend on your good judgment.
  • You will have no idea how hard comparing yourself to other is only to realize that the competition is only with yourself.
  • You will still be single by the time you are 30 and you're going to be totally, unbelievably, fine with it.
  • You will like yourself better at 30 and in the coming years. Claim it, live it!






2 comments:

Kea said...

Kea! Inspiring as always :) I hope this one will be true for me: "You think you can no longer resign and take time to figure yourself out at 23? It will catch up when you're 26 and your change of life will start from there." Going through a hard time at werk so this post is really encouraging.

Kea said...

I've been there. When I was 26, I felt 40 (I was a supervisor back then). When I turned 27 (and was already in Graduate School as a full-time MS student) I felt 19. It's really all in the mind, I guess. Everything will be fine, cliche, but true. :)