Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Meg Jay tells you why 30 is not the new 20

What were you like when you were 21?

"I was still in college, young and carefree." said, Mommy Jeng, a colleague and she's years my senior. " You should not be out here (BPO), you should be out having fun and having the time of your life.

When I turned twenty one, I was excited to throw an intimate and ultimate girls night out. My highschool friends and I were out in Makati, had dinner then hit the then-happenin' bar in Greenbelt with VIP seats courtesy of my DJ friend. We had a blast, details not to be blogged about (wink) and ended the night by having a sleepover at my friends condo.


What were you like when you were 23?

My college roommate, at 23, decided to settle down and get married.

When I was twenty three, I had my first promotion. It was hard earned. I realized then on that I did not have proper charms to kiss some ass, but I do have a genuine talent and personality to hold my pants up and explore greener pastures. So I did and thank God, I had it.





I asked: What were you like when you were 26?

" I was out every weekend and partying like crazy," said another colleague. "Marriage and settling down was not something I have envisioned for myself". She was 32 and getting married in a few months.

When I was 26, I felt 40. I literally felt old. I felt my skin is turning gray, I was dragging my ass to work every night. I kept on whining to myself that I wanted change, I wanted something new. It felt like everyone's breathing down my neck when they badly want what I have that I didn't want to have in the first place.

I moved out, uprooted my self from my comfort zone and started fresh.


It's going to be 6 months since I turned twenty nine. Now I'm thinking, years from now, what was I like when I was 29?


I couldn't really finish this post, I saved this post because I didn't know how to end this, but somebody shared this on facebook and it made a lot difference.

Why 30 is not the new 20? by Meg Jay


It was worth my 15 minutes that I downloaded it and saved the mp3 file to listen to it again. I couldn't hep but take my pen out and take down notes. If self-discovery and empowerment is something that interests you, you may want to take some time and watch the video.

Now what was I like when I was twenty nine? I guess the answer to my query would be after I turn thirty.

(all photos from google)

No comments: