My Kuya has always been telling me since last year that too
much of the internet is bad for you. Last year I also learned that majority of
people use SNS (Social Networking Sites) as venues and as a subconcious
creation of their own reality where love stories are perfect, where happiness
is being announced, where everyone supports one another and it also have some
major disadvantage such as cyberbullying and online bashing.
I’ve been addicted to these SNS and I learned that when I
feel sad, I open SNS to see what is out there.
Last semester, during my gathering of literature for my Thesis for
graduate school, studies show that those
who spend a ridiculous amount of time logging in on SNS such as facebook,
having the need to constantly update their status like it’s fast becoming an
online diary are those people with low self-esteem. It occurs mostly on
teenagers and young adults.
![]() |
| Source |
When I learned about this, I started going out more and
seeing more of my friends so most of the time I do my catch up face to face,
and not “screen-to-screen” or in facebook language “wall-to-wall”. And really I
am thankful that I get to actually talk to real persons, laugh with them
instead of typing the awkward “LOL”.
My kuya told me about the wedding he recently attended and
during the reception, the new couple rushed to get their laptop, updating their
status from “engaged” to “married”. Is
that really what facebook has done to us? There is this unimaginable need and
urge to update your facebook status, during your own wedding? Can’t it wait?
It’s...your...wedding!
It’s your moment?! Why the need to log in on facebook and let the whole world know you just got hitched when you can enjoy the moment and feeling of a newly wed?
I vowed to make sure that my life off the cyberspace is more
“happenin” . I admit I am more of a twitter addict because I get ideas and news
from the site and it helps me get through writer’s block. But honey, I really
have to blog because this is therapy for me. But thank God for Blogspot’s
feature, scheduled publishing, that I can assign which date a certain post will
be published... and I can go live my life off the internet while blogspot will
do the publishing for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment